Thursday, on the last mile of my journey home from running errands, I noted a small pickup truck moving along the same road. Its license plate was familiar. The truck and plate belonged to a guy with whom I worked at Cessna. What is wrong with this picture? Only that I thought the guy had died a few years ago.
Since the tag is an amateur radio tag, only the holder of the amateur radio license may have that tag. Good news! I checked online that the tag still belongs to my friend. Either he came back at Easter or my memory has played one of its little tricks on me. Guess which I believe? Yay!
Take note: If you don't wish to be assigned to my "he/she's gone" mental file, keep communicating with me. Since that is a two-way street, I need to reach out to my friend. (I do know that it has only been within the past few months that I thought I had heard of friend's death. Maybe it is my ears that erred?)
ReplyDeleteI was feeling like my mind must be very much gone - I mean you remember license plates! Well, until you mentioned the part about the amateur radio tag, which made me feel much better :)
ReplyDelete*Chuckling* Friend's tag is even easier than most to recall. As did your dad, friend holds an Amateur Extra license which gives one the option of being assigned a shorter call sign (which your dad never chose to request although his Amateur Extra license was issued in 1958). The tag on the truck is of the form KW0Z rather than the form of HH's W0XYZ, mine K0XYZ, or Weatherwitch's KF0XYZ.
Delete