Sunday, April 12, 2026

From 21 Years Ago

FROM OUT OF THE PAST - links may no longer work

April 13, 2005

Hunky Husband is out of town, probably for about three weeks.  When I know that he will be gone for a couple of weeks or more, I bring out the projects that I've really wanted to do for a long time but haven't done because he was around.  Today, on the way home from taking HH to the airport, I stopped by my favorite plant nursery.  Ended up lugging home a LowBoy Pyrocantha.  I had bought one in the fall of 2003 and planted it on the northeast side of the house; but wanted another next to it.  The nice people at work gave me two gift certificates (among other goodies) when I retired.  One was for anything from the nursery, so now I have spent their certificate.  The price was exactly the same as the first one that I bought.  Astounding!

When I arrived home, I called a local hauling service to order a load of topsoil. It was delivered about an hour ago (just 30 minutes after my phone call). I covered the topsoil with a tarp (the sky is full of low, dark clouds) and moved 3 wheelbarrows full before coming inside. With my leg hurting as badly as it does, today (I helped HH get ready to go by ironing the week's laundry--and probably last week's, as many shirts as he had to be ironed), I'm waiting for the ibuprofen to kick in before going out to move more topsoil. I'll not move more than 3 wheelbarrows full at a go because I wish to be able to move my body tomorrow.

This morning, I took apart a couple of small tables so that I may take the tops to the shop to have them topped with a nice laminate. I got the tables out of someone else's scrap heap and considered for a couple of years whether to refinish the tops or to have laminate installed. I'm taking the lazy way out. There are other things on my "to do" list that I'm sure you'll be hearing about as they get accomplished! I just don't do these things because it makes so much upheaval around here that HH gets annoyed. No reason to annoy him when I know there will be times when I don't have to worry about doing so. Makin' hay while the sun shines!

BTW: I just couldn't stand it. I have replaced the quilts in the photo gallery to reflect the correction of the blue fabric. It changed the look of the quilts that used the blue by quite a bit.

April 13, 2005 at 01:19 PM

 

Comments

How clever of you to set things aside until you can run a series of errands all at once! I bet you're pleased to be getting them done with a minimum of fuss and furor.

Two years ago I had a truck load of compost brought in and tarped it over. I bought more than I needed to save on cartage. The charge was the same whether it was one or six yards of compost. I did the same last year with mulch, so I've had the material I've needed at hand this spring as I worked in the gardens. I know what you mean about limiting the wheelbarrowing to three a day. It's nice to be able to walk after a day in the gardens! lol

I'm off to check out the quilt layouts.

Sorry, Buffy, that my posting wasn't clear. I went out to move dirt maybe 5 or 6 times, yesterday. But...I only moved 3 wheelbarrows full each time that I went out. (And, I had to take time out to repair the wheelbarrow. The bed part is heavy plastic and the head of one of the bolts that attaches the bed to the frame, pulled through. I installed a large washer under the bolt head--which should last for a while. May need to replace the bed or get a new wheelbarrow.) I barely made a dent--maybe 1/10th of the pile. There is a chance of rain, tonight, so I must hurry. Unfortunately, my morning is filled with commitments, and I won't get to do any dirt moving until after lunch. Maybe I'll try 4 or 5 wheelbarrows full each trip outside, today.

(Elegant Friend just called to say that she'd read my posting. She wanted to be sure that my knee is holding out and offered to cancel our fitness center appointment this morning. No way. We gotta go!)

P.S. Buffy--You are a lot more religious at getting your gardening done than I could ever be. Six yards is quite a bit of compost. I think that they told me that the 7 tons of dirt that I got made 5 yards.

Good God, Cop Car!

I spread my work out over the day, too, but I don't think I have EVER moved 15 wheelbarrow loads in one day. You constantly amaze me! I hope your knee holds up better than the wheelbarrow.

Good luck with the race against the rain.

Maybe you fill your wheelbarrow fuller than I fill mine. I'm a great believer in discretion's being the better part of valor. As a result (brag, brag), I am on my 3rd day of moving dirt and have heard nary a twinge from any part of my body. *grin*

Good going on keeping to an amount of work that keeps you from getting sore!

I do the same thing and wait to do some stuff while WS is gone for the day. However, it isn't because he gets annoyed, but that I get annoyed with him because he'll see me struggle with something and jump in to help. If I need help, I will ask for it, otherwise leave me be!

Yeah....I probably overload the wheelbarrow.

Bogie, you'd like Fred. He'd let you move your own wheelbarrows! lol

Bogie--You ain't seen nuthin' yet. Just wait until you are 20 years older and some people treat you as though your one good foot is on a banana peel next to a 6-foot hole! I get really pissed. Like you, if I need help, I'll GET it!! (In response to my plea for help, the most usual response from HH is, "And I suppose that you want it right this minute?!!" Well, yeah.)

Buffy--You're the one that I'm always asking for help, aren't you? I truly appreciate your mentoring me on the quilting endeavor.


FROM OUT OF THE PRESENT - links should work


The present does, indeed, link to the past

1. The LowBoy Pyrocantha bushes mentioned in the first paragraph have been moved but are still just about 20-25 feet from the position of 21 years ago. The photo is from October 2021. It is dark, outside, and I don't wish to wait for sunrise to take a photo.


2. For the past few months, I've been pondering getting a load of topsoil - for the same uses that obtained 21 years ago.
3. The two small tables are still in use, showing off their "new" tops - in the parlor. (The parlor used to be the piano room before I gave the piano away a few years ago.) The tables sit to either side of the windows.






4. And, Bogie, you are now not just 20 years older, but 21 years older. You probably still don't get treated like an old woman because you still look young!

No comments:

Post a Comment