Something that was emphasized in past generations, at least, was getting along/getting the job done with what was available at hand. To me, most decades have been accompanied by less need to do so. I have felt that with each passing decade I/we have had so much more with which to cope. I have been taking advantage of some of the marvels of modern-day life without giving it much of a thought. To wit: For the past decade or two, I have been scanning much of what can be scanned in order to let go of physical paperwork - including printed photographs. The project has had its challenges since succeeding generations of our family have been infected with the need to retain the physical evidence of our existence. Oh, me.
Something that has presented a challenge is the fact that previous generations of Hunky Husband's and my families seemed to favor large format photographs. Somehow, that predilection skipped a generation as I always preferred 5"x7" format in portraits for display rather than the 8"x10" favored by my mother or the 16"x20" favored by my great-grandparents, for instance. How to scan such large photographs? Like most of us, I suspect, my scanner plate accepts nothing larger than 8.5"x14".
As I am archiving photos and documents for my own use, I am not bound by the requirements under which professional archivists must labor. Whatever is acceptable to me, works. Thus, I have two work-arounds for the large format issue: 1) photographing the original using my iPhone (I no longer maintain an autonomous camera) and 2) using Microsoft Paint to join together smaller pieces of large format photos and documents - at which I am anything but accomplished.
For instance, the photo at the top is an unedited product of my having hand-held my iPhone to photograph a large format photograph of HH's mother from 1935. Good enough for me! As an illustration of piecing together parts of a photo to produce the larger whole, I present another copy of my beloved mother-in-law's photo, below. Also, good enough for me!
I still have an analog camera (an Olympus OM1) and 3 digital ones of resolutions decreasing with age ;-)
ReplyDeleteTo each our own, Stu. You have always produced superior photographic products.
ReplyDeleteHH was the photographer in our house so when he died, one of our great grandsons was gifted with all of HH's equipment. Meanwhile, my own equipment fell by the wayside as I cared not enough to troubleshoot/repair things as they stopped functioning properly. I don't really miss any of it.
That is such a great picture of Grandma S!
ReplyDeleteI can't tell the difference between the two pictures besides the bottom looks like it was lightened and cropped off the edges.
The effect that you mention, Bogie, is because I had no way of holding the large format photo flat while taking the iPhone photo so that lower right corner was raised and a little distortion of form/lighting was formed. Good eye.
ReplyDeleteIf you peer closely at Mom S's (her own) left hip you should see a horizontal line making it appear that she is wearing a two-piece dress rather than a one-piece. That is the splice line.