Truly, I have been conflicted over artificial intelligence. As an engineer, I find it interesting and, possibly, useful. As an employee (which I've not been since April 2004), I would find it threatening. As a reasonably intelligent and reasonably sympathetic member of the public, I find it demoralizing.
Nearly every engineer, and I venture to guess most employees, face the task of training others. I spent much time during my engineering career in training others. It was just another part of my job, and I enjoyed watching younger engineers make progress in their own professions.
BUT...when one is tasked with training the software to take away the job by which one makes a living, it gets really uncomfortable. I think it only human that when I read the article, below, I got a wry look on my face and thought, "What did they expect?" I actually expected better from Ford*. I don't know what to tell them.
Ford Rehires 350 Engineers After AI Fails To Preserve Expertise or Train Juniors
The return of the veteran engineers at Ford cuts against the prevailing wisdom -- and fear -- that AI will replace all kinds of knowledge workers. But Ford found the machines couldn't replace experience. "Mistakenly we thought that by just introducing artificial intelligence and ingesting the design requirements that we had, that that would produce a high-quality product," Poon said. But "we recognized that for us to enhance some of our automation and machine learning and artificial intelligence tools we needed to ensure that they were trained by the most experienced individuals."
As a result of the efforts of the old hands, Ford vaulted above quality stalwarts such as Toyota and Honda on JD Power's bellwether survey that measures the quality of a car during the first three months of ownership. Only luxury brands Porsche and Genesis topped Ford this year.
____________
* At one time I worked for a company that was owned by Ford Aerospace. AFAIK, they did well by "us" although they later sold us to another firm that, in turn, was bought out by another. My retirement check from that nine years' work is from Northrop Grumman.
Even when training new employees, an experienced person can't impart all knowledge that they have accumulated. There are one-off or rare situations that one doesn't really think of until it comes back again. Then it is dredged from memory. Or, experience from somewhat similar situation experience will allow one to have a good guess as to wheat to do.
ReplyDeleteMuch like Elon's chainsaw approach that ended up with a lot of people being rehired (I mean, who knew you needed nuclear experts - LOL), just slashing people because you have AI is bound to be a mistake.
Yes, we end up paying for our mistakes. That chainsaw approach has/is/will cost us taxpayers, dearly. Corporate memory has great value.
ReplyDelete