FROM OUT OF THE PAST - links no longer work
September 24, 2022
Yay: Lily-of-the-Valley starts
Over the past several years, I've spent a small fortune trying to get starts of Lily-of-the-Valley (LOV). Inevitably, the package, when opened, revealed a mass of stuff that was unidentified as plants. I dutifully planted and watered such stuff a few times, to no avail. Mentioning this to Bogie, I was told that she had a good stand of LOV that needed dividing. She said that, if she thought of it, she would send me some starts in the fall. I set a reminder on my calendar and reminded Bogie in mid-August. She sent beautiful, healthy plants.
The transport company was a little confused about what an "up" sign (with arrow) meant, but Bogie had packed the plants so well that they could have rolled that box down the road without apparent damage to the plants.
First Photo: As the box was delivered to our front door. (Arrows on each side pointing toward the street, rather than toward the ceiling.)
Next Photo: Healthy plants that Bogie shipped. She had let them acclimate to being in the planters before shipping and had packed them very well. It is obvious that some of the top layer of soil had been flung loose as (I assume) they tumbled the box in a cement mixer. With these plants it is easy to tell which stuff is plant life and which stuff is packing material - and- I have no trouble discerning plant tops from plant roots.
Last Photo: Planters of LOV in a temporary location where the plants may be watered as our side yard grass receives water from the sprinkler system. My plan is to let them recover for a few days before setting them into the ground near the foundation - on the northeast side of the house.
Many thanks, Bogie, and thanks for the strong advice against opening the box indoors. That advice was spot on.
I should mention that in the late 1960s, I planted LOVs on the creek bank at our previous home. They proliferated and, as of the last time I saw them (2002), were beautiful and healthy and providing protection against erosion of the bank. I no longer recall what the starts of those plants looked like, but I assume they were more recognizable as plant life than was the recent stuff I was sent by mail or that I had bought (packaged so that the stuff was sight unseen) at WalMart.
Comments
I am so glad that they made it there in good shape, regardless of the handling. I couldn't find actual "This Side Up" stickers anywhere (including the local post office), so had to improvise.
Since LOV like shade, even deep shade, I had no doubt the leaves would stay green. Unlike sun loving plants which would probably drop their leaves - or at least have yellowing leaves that would drop shortly after unpacking. As long as they receive decent moisture, they should stay viable.
It is so hard to plant lily of the valley. We have one patch that I love. I need to find a Bogie who can supply mine..
Bogie--I have every confidence that your shared LOV will do better than store-bought. (Your Grandmother H always claimed that store-bought anything wouldn't thrive.)
Liz--I had a corsage and HH had a boutonniere of LOV for our first wedding (1/1/1958). The blossoms are so dainty looking, but well-established plants are tough. BTW: Everyone needs a Bogie - for many, many reasons.
Posted by: Cop Car | September 30, 2022 at 07:49 AM
FROM OUT OF THE PRESENT - links should work
As of April 1, 2026, this (below) is what the Lily-of-the-Valley plants from Bogie looked like - with their progeny.
Thanks, Miss Creant. I've put in more time fiddling around with the profile stuff than I had spent on the posting. Closed the blog to search engines (I hope). Allowed anyone to comment. I think it now gives you the opportunity to give your handle and URL if you wish to do so. Good luck! ☺
ReplyDeletetrying to comment with Firefox and no VPN
ReplyDeleteTrying with ID/URL and Firefox with no VPN
ReplyDeleteYou seem to have hit on it, Bogie. Glad to see you here. Good show!
DeleteI never think to mention enlarging photos because I know that my readers know to do that. However, I do not always remember. The LOVs really pop out in the enlarged version of the photo, Bogie. Thank you, again, for the wonderful plants that you sent.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the reminder to enlarge the photos - the LOV's do pop out when enlarged!
Delete♥
Delete