Monday, May 18, 2026

I scratched my head.

In case anyone else scratched their head over the note at the right-hand, bottom (RHB) corner of the post card displayed in my previous posting, do not do as I did and spend 5 minutes researching ring laser gyroscope (RLG) nomenclature to defog it. 


By chance, re-reading what Joe had written in the message on the left-hand side of the post card, it dawned on me the "ratio" in the RHB corner note was S/D not 5/D.


That leads me to an educated guess that Joe is using "strapdown" to describe a temporary, test configuration installation of the RLG as opposed to a production installation. All this said, I should not cast aspersions upon Joe's writing/lettering. I no longer do either well and have historically been unwilling to spend the time to write/letter better. I do not have complete control over my hands/head/etc from the effects of my essential tremors that I've experienced for the past 20 years (+/- 5). I always wished I could put words to paper as neatly as a friend, a sample of whose lettering I give below. The guy never scribbled but always lettered precisely. Of course, he eventually took up calligraphy of which I have no sample to give.


3 comments:

  1. I was at first thinking there was a grammatical error in the sentence that starts, "Ther is still a Couple of Months . . . ". But then I realized that the subject was "Work", so the "is" is correct. I definitely would not have written that correctly - and heck, I would be lucky if it were legible, much less that neat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And, in my critique, I made a spelling error - LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can spell...you just did a typo. If your keyboard is anything like mine, it adds typos for you.
    P.S. Like you, when I first read it, I did not catch the correct subject. I should have known that Richard's words would be correctly used but I still had to go through the process.

    ReplyDelete