Thursday, May 21, 2026

School Photos

 

Scanning through yet more photos this morning I came across Elder Brother's school photo from when he was in 1st grade. Something struck me about the photo that I hadn't thought of in a long time. I looked at my own school photo from 1st grade. Yes, I got it right.



I ask that you note the letter "v" above each of our photos. Note, too, that it is followed by "...-". The Morse code should strike a chord with anyone who lived in the 1940s (which, I suspect few if any of my readers did). It was a catch phrase during WWII. Beethoven's Fifth Symphony was also popular, as was raising two fingers in a vee (facing away from the signer). We used "V for Victory" a lot. Especially, those of us who lived through WWII remember photos of Winston Churchill raising his fingers in the vee.



2 comments:

  1. I probably never would have noticed the V and morse code (I would not have even recognized it as morse code). Interesting what they used to do during that time period.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are not subject to the affliction that people like your dad and I were/are: I still get "dit happy". Dit happiness is when we "hear" Morse code in random sounds - which, still, I do even not having used Morse code for communication in decades.
    You are right about "during that time period". If I flashed a victory sign now, I think most people would interpret it as a peace sign.

    ReplyDelete