During the periods of life during which I've lived alone (I'm on the 3rd, and almost surely my last such period) I tend to do what I want, when I want, as I want. This morning's breakfast falls into that category.
As I mentioned in a comment to Ingineer66, I am in a time during which I try to remember to consume red meat - mostly beef - and I just finished a breakfast rich in it. I never think to photograph meals before I start (as if you really need to see it, anyway?) but my menu was filet mignon, baked potato, okra, and fresh strawberries. (As the first three items filled my stomach, the small dish of four huge strawberries sits at my elbow.) I hasten to add that I was able to buy the filet mignon at an almost-reasonable price when the grocery store had a package of three small steaks in the bargain meat bin at half normal price.
I froze the 3-4-ounce steaks, individually, and find it convenient to plop a frozen one into a 5-inch iron skillet that has been liberally anointed with olive oil. I use a small set of tongs to turn the steak to coat all sides in oil, stick the skillet (no lid) into my cold toaster convection oven, and turn the oven on - set to 375 degrees F.
After about 6 minutes, I turn the steak and set the oven to 425 degrees. After 3-4 minutes, I turn the oven down to 400 degrees for a few minutes until the steak looks done to my liking, then sizzle the sides in the oil. It usually comes out just right for me - pink in the middle. Now, the steak rests on the warmed plate.
Meanwhile, back at the ranch (I apologize that anyone who hasn't listened to a horse opera on the radio won't understand the prevalence of that phrase), I nuke the small-/medium-sized potato on the popcorn setting (about 3.3 minutes), turn the potato over and add frozen, sliced okra to the same plate, nuking them for another popcorn setting. While the steak rests, I put the okra into the dab of oil left in the skillet and let the okra sizzle on all sides.
Yum!
I'll have the strawberries when my stomach is not quite so distended!
P.S. Please note that, nowhere did I mention salt.
That sounds like a delicious meal. I have never tried cooking a potato in the microwave even though I have been told by numerous family members that they turn out great.
ReplyDeleteI also never remember to take a photo of a good meal that we have prepared. I typically think about it when my plate is half empty.
I am not old enough to have listened to serials on the radio, but I have heard that phrase all of my life and use it on occasion.
The meal was, indeed, delicious, Ingineer. Except for mashed potatoes, the microwave is the only way to go. I find the taste very slightly different from a baked potato, but luscious at any rate.
ReplyDeleteThanks for letting me know that "Meanwhile, back at the ranch...." is in use by younger people. Interesting.
It cracks me up that you use the Popcorn setting for nearly everything. I have never used the popcorn setting on my microwave. And, ironically, the instructions for microwaving popcorn say specifically NOT to use that setting.
ReplyDelete