Sunday, May 10, 2026

Three generations of mothers


The youngest mother in our family is Wonderful GrandDaughter (WGD), mother of two teen-aged sons. I give her kudos for being an excellent mother. Obviously, her mother taught her well. (As an aside, my own mother took delight in her first great-grandchild.)

Wonderful GrandDaughter at hours or a day or two old

Dudette is the middle generation of mothers in our family. She not only was the first to make me her mom, but she did her best to teach me how to be a mom. I credit her for being an excellent mother and passing along her knowledge to Wonderful GrandDaughter. I should not fail to mention that Dudette always acted as backup mom to her younger sister. She was just practicing, I guess.

Dudette at 6 months old

Had Dudette not come along, surely, Bogie would still have made me a mother. She gets half-the-credit/half-the-blame for my motherhood. Whatever Dudette didn't quite get around to teaching me about being a mom, Bogie tried to teach me. She has passed on her better-than-my-own mothering skills to my many furry and feathery grandchildren.


Bogie at 3 months old

I was too cheap to buy Bogie a new dress! Terrible mother! That's how Bogie became so thrifty? (Take it for a win.)

I am the eldest living mother in our family. As my mother had produced two children before me, I did not get an individual portrait. That's OK. I'm happy to share a photo with big brother, Elder Brother. He mothered me a lot. Everything I ever knew before I had my own children, I credit to him/his influence.

Elder Brother at 2 years 9 months old, Cop Car at 8 months year old

In comparing the above photos, I note that my own mom put shoes on me at least by age 8 months while my own children were shoeless at that age. Reasons? Why do those who can't yet walk need shoes? and although Bogie is thrifty, I was/am cheap.

I don't know how many years ago Ann Landers published this entry to her newspaper column, but it is right on. 


I miss the mothers of previous generations. My debt to them was great.

One of the mothers in our extended family is having a tough time, I know, and I wish the best for her. May each have the best Mother's Day possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment