The reconnaissance following flooding is always enlightening. Yesterday's
(Friday's) reconnaissance was no different.
Friday, after the Flood
[Yes, I got cute. Failing in an attempt to travel back in time to re-take
the "after flood" photo, I kluged together my own inept version of
a panorama. Fortunately, I need not do that for the remaining photos in
this posting.]
Friday, sump lid missing
The first thing I must rectify is the loss of the lid to my eave trough
downspout sump at the farthest reach of the real back yard (as opposed to
the far back which is actually drainage easement). The sad thing is that I
had replaced the sump lid only a few weeks ago. [In mowing, the older lid had collapsed as the large, right rear tire
passed over the center of it. That's probably the fastest I had moved in
50-60 years, advancing the hand controls to speed passage so as not to
give the mower time to settle into the embarrassing position of being hung
up with one wheel below ground level.]
Large Long Log as Flotsam
Large Short Log as Flotsam
Broken Limbs in umbrella Catalpa
I shall not bother posting photos showing small things such as the
pattern of the grass swooping downstream-ward or the small aggregates of
flotsam (including paper, plastic, and smallish tree limbs), and such.
Things did not settle out too badly.
In the past, the water has come at least 10' nearer the house (this time,
the closest approach was about 20' beyond the edge of the patio which is,
itself, 20' from the house) and I've been left with large piles of flotsam
- much of which was too large for me to move by myself. This time, I can
probably roll the short log after it dries out, and I can probably pivot
the long one. They will take a while to dry out which is good because we
are now having a 3-4-day heat wave up to 100 degrees F, perhaps, with
humidity to match. I cannot do that.
As part of last Friday evening's newscast, were shown videos from
High Park - in Derby. It is located about one mile from here, as the crow
flies, and is the source of some of the water that comes to me during
flooding, via the tributary that joins Spring Creek at Adam and Kristi's
lot, next door upstream from me. One year I decided that the park was the
source of the dozens of (empty) single-serving liquor bottles I found
among the flotsam. Ye-hah!
Saturday: I arrived at Lowe's shortly after their 7am opening, to
purchase a new sump lid. That open hole was a real hazard, but not now. It
took me about 30 minutes to clean the grass and mud from around the sump
and woman handle the lid to get it into the opening and turned enough to
engage the locking tabs. Whew! While buying the lid I also bought a new
cover for the exhaust end of the duct leading from one of the eave trough
downspouts, underground to exhaust at the street curb. The previous cover
had been damaged when I first mowed over it. The lid flipped up enough
that the mower blade took a chunk out of it. That cover has been replaced
several times as the down-gushing rainwater dislodged it and it washed
down the street into the sewer. (Not so much, anymore, as I had four
downspouts added to the 4-downspout drainage system. As the new downspouts
do not empty into underground ducting, the water pressure of the existing
underground ducts is reduced.
New sump lid installed and "locked"
Old, damaged curbside effluent cover (7" D) removed
Some photos that have been overlooked in previous postings:
Glorious display of daylilies
Although I am not a big fan of daylilies, I do enjoy Stella
del
Oro and have, for some years, had a small planting of them. Five-ten years
ago, I added a couple of Ruby Stella plants. It turned out they are taller
than the Stella del Oro, but not quite as tall as standard daylilies. At any
rate, even though they are not my favorites, they are putting on a great
show, this year, so I wanted to show them off. Maybe I'll keep
them.
Glorious display of a single sunflower blossom
That is what one gets when she does not bake sunflower seeds prior to
putting them out for the birds: sunflower plants.
Wow that is some serious driftwood floating around. Glad you were able to quickly replace the missing lid. Your yard looks good and green. Here the heat had scorched our lawn a bit, but this week has been well below normal temperatures.
ReplyDeleteIf only we could average out between NH & KS weather? I got off easy, this time, when it comes to cleanup. Unfortunately, I have lost all of the photos that would have shown the massive amount of cleanup work left by other floods. I think the worst flooding was in July, 2016, but the photos that I posted don't show the leavings - at least, not that I've found - and you may recall that I had my photo files wiped out in 2022 when my hard drive failed and I wasn't smart enough to realize that I did not have them all on flash drives.
ReplyDeleteMea culpa, Ingineer. Your comment, at first, had been from "Anonymous", as far as I could see. I told myself not to assume it was from Bogie. Obviously, my mind did not keep track of that thought.
ReplyDeleteGlad your temperatures are lower than ours. High 90s for at least a week.
Wow. Flooding is something we dont have to fear But it is hot here at over 40C
ReplyDeleteThe weather gets pretty challenging for us old folks - especially with our "pre-existing conditions". Stay cool, Stu. Your 104 degrees F is not to be sneezed at. We have not yet reached that temperature AFAIK.
ReplyDeleteI got a quick mind's eye view of you mashing the throttle to get the mower tire out of the hole. I got a good laugh at that until I realized that I'm sure I wouldn't have thought about that as quickly as you did, and would have been sunk.
ReplyDeleteTo be fair, since all my mowing is done with a push mower, I don't really have to worry about that and can just use a bit of grunt to get the mower out of any predicament I place it in.
It was pure instinct. To give a clearer picture to those who don't know, I have a zero-turn-radius riding mower with drive on the two main (back) wheels, controlled by a rather long joy stick (think of the floor gear shifters on 1930s cars - one for either hand). I just pushed forward with both hands, lacking time to determine that the right tire was on solid ground, left on the failing lid. Pure instinct/pure luck. I would have bet against my reacting so quickly.
ReplyDeleteEach wheel's forward speed controlled by a joystick in the corresponding hand, I should have written🙄
Delete