Taking our attention back to the comments discussion in Newish Links, Bogie and I were scratching our heads over just which house(s) ever housed the black and white Heathkit TV that Hunky Husband and I had assembled in 1963. At the time of assembly, we lived in a small rental house in Derby KS. In September 1963, we purchased a new house in Derby and moved into it late that month. We can be sure that the Heathkit TV was moved with the rest of our belongings.
We had scarcely been in the new house for 2 years when Hunky Husband was granted a transfer, by Boeing, to work in Seattle WA. With two weeks' notice, we packed up and left KS for WA. In October 1965 we moved into a house in Bellevue WA - just across Lake Washington from Seattle. A betting person would say that we would have moved the TV to WA with us. In confirmation of it, I have, just today, found physical evidence - evidence that I wasn't even seeking but noticed.
If you were alive in the 1960s and old enough to know about such things, you will know that 8mm home movies became a big "thing". Since we did not live in the same state as either set of our parents, my parents sent us an 8mm camera with instructions, "Use it!" They wanted to see their granddaughters in action. We took a fair number of reels of movies of the girls - most of which have ended up I know not where. I found one reel of home movie in a box in the basement. Mind you, I've worked scanning/sorting printed photos out of the box for 2-3 hours, today, but it was only when I became bored this evening that I thought to dig out one of the home movies. (It turned out that there was only one reel. The rest of the boxes I thought contained "reels" actually contain "slides".)
The solitary reel that I found in the box, I watched using the manual viewer shown in the top photo - a handy little gadget that avoided the expense of our family's having to buy multiple electrical home movie projectors. I'll admit that it took me a few minutes to figure out how it worked but I am in no danger of having my MSEM degree revoked - I figured it out! The film showed Bogie & Dudette coming downstairs (the house was tri-level) on Christmas morning. Along the wall to their right as they reached the main floor living room stood the TV - just as was shown in the posted photo of the previous posting. Score!
At least I am making progress. There is more information needed to unequivocally answer Bogie's original question of whether the Heathkit TV was ever in the house that she remembers.
There are two more steps required to arrive at the answer: 1) Determine whether we brought the TV back from WA when we moved back to KS in February 1967 (yes, we only spent 15 months in the Seattle area before HH discovered he didn't want to stay and his old group in Wichita found/made an opening that would be a promotion for him to return to) - We probably did - and 2) Did we bring that TV to the new house once we got it built in June 1968? (We lived in a townhouse in Wichita for the intervening time while the house was being built. I'm pretty sure the TV was in the townhouse but not positive that it made that final move to the house that Bogie remembers.) Will we find proof of an answer?
Meanwhile, back at the ranch....
My aunt had a fancy Super 8 camera with a giant light on it. There must of been plenty of footage of all us cousins shielding our eyes.
ReplyDeleteAt some point she turned a bunch of old films into DVDs. Now I am guessing they would put them on a thumb drive. That was really fun seeing some movies from just before I was born to when I was a youngster. Most of which I had never seen before.
That sounds right, Ingineer, since I believe that you are about 4 years younger than Bogie and we made home movies of Dudette about a year or two before Bogie was born. I do not recall having a light bar. Dunno. Maybe we only made movies outdoors. The surviving reel that I found looks to be Super 8 (square sprocket holes), but that was beyond my remembrance. Processing of the reel was done in Palo Alto, mailed back to us in Bellevue WA on 5/9/1966.
ReplyDelete